FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

A question for property owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sayulita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayulita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for property owners
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:56pm
Hello to everybody! First time poster.

I was curious about property ownership on this lovely little island. Specifically, as a Canadian citizen, if I purchase property on the island, am I able to hire locals to assist in the management of the property?

Would I need to obtain some sort of business license to rent out my own properties?

Additionally, I had a question about becoming a resident. From what I have read online, if one wishes to become a resident of the island, one must live on the island for at least six months per year, for at least five years. I also read that as a Canadian, I can only stay for up to 90 days without the need for a visa. So......if I wanted to eventually become a resident, do I need to go the visa route? Or, can I just come as a tourist on a couple of 90 day trips per year for 5 years?

Premium James View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:30am
No problem employing local people. Most people will set up a local company that can have a local bank account, employ people, pay local taxes etc.

I'm not sure how the residency thing works now, there is French nationality and island residency, the two aren't the same. Most people will pop backwards and forwards
sayulita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayulita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Premium James Premium James wrote:

Most people will set up a local company that can have a local bank account, employ people, pay local taxes etc.

Do you know if I am permitted to do this immediately, or if I need to jump through any regulatory hoops first?

(I am originally from Vancouver Canada, which is "the land of red tape", so I always assume there is some sort of paperwork that needs to be completed before embarking upon any financial matter.)
Premium James View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:35am
You should be able to set up pretty quickly. The agency you use to buy the property should be able to help you with this.

sayulita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayulita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:02pm
Thanks.
sayulita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayulita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:10pm
One other question.......is there a cap on the number of homes a person can buy and manage?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic