FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CRIME WAVE???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MCTV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CRIME WAVE???
    Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:03pm
A villa owner posted on his website CRIME WAVE HITS ST. BARTH!
We contacted the owner and he excused himself and retracted the blog note.

Since some weeks people talk (most without any facts) about security problems. But Is there a CRIME WAVE on the island?

There were isolated cases, but for sure no CRIME WAVE!
This island has the lowest crime rate in the Carib (expt. Mustique, Saba and Canouan).

But we should all be more sensitive about this matter.
And we would like to see more presence of official legal forces.
(day and night!)

MCR
LastMinuteMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastMinuteMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:39pm
Unless you count birds stealing food from your windowless villa's kitchen a crime wave, the answer is "no." It's the safest place I've ever been to in the world, period.

Part of the problem with the electric townhall nature of the Internet is the smallest thing gets amplified and becomes a "trend". A man goes crazy ad rapes someone, and it becomes a "crime wave" rather than an isolated and unusual event.

Given the amount of wealth on St. Barts it's amazing to me how little crime there is.
JeffM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:43pm

You are much safer on St. Barts than you are at home.

With the new govenment there is also an added police presence.
Villa Flamands Blue
http://www.stbartsvilla.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastMinuteMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by JeffM JeffM wrote:

You are much safer on St. Barts than you are at home.

No truer words have been said, no matter where you live ;)

Shoots&Co. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoots&Co. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:52pm
If you want to see a crime wave, just spend a few days in St Maarten, St Barth is a place where I really dont worry about my baby and my partner.

I saw more crimes in one week in St Maarten than in 7 years in St Barth.

But, once in a while, like everywhere in the world, fishy stuff can hapen, but nothing to worry about.

Excuse me LastMinute, but I want to add to the birds the cats, the other day I had some ham in a shopping bag in my car, I stopped at the market and when I came back : no more ham but just the wrapper....police still work on it!
Anthony,Your man in St-Barth... http://www.shootsnco.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastMinuteMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Shoots&Co. Shoots&Co. wrote:

Excuse me LastMinute, but I want to add to the birds the cats, the other day I had some ham in a shopping bag in my car, I stopped at the market and when I came back : no more ham but just the wrapper....police still work on it!

LOL, given the almost complete lack of crime, it gives the poor police something to do.

I kept waking up in my villa last month and finding my expensive morning cookies hijacked by discerning mice. Only on St Barts is the local blotter filled with mice, cat and bird thieves. :)
MCTV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:11pm
Some of you forum-talkers missed my post.
I wanted to warn people to write uncontrolled things in internet blogs.
This is what happened with the SBH-villa-owner who wrote in his blog CRIME WAVE IN ST. BARTH.

Thank you
MCR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoots&Co. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:32pm
I guess we were following you, we all know that St Barth is safe.

We are with you and just wanted to reenforce your point of view!

I hope everybody agree with me....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LastMinuteMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by MCTV MCTV wrote:

Some of you forum-talkers missed my post.
I wanted to warn people to write uncontrolled things in internet blogs.
This is what happened with the SBH-villa-owner who wrote in his blog CRIME WAVE IN ST. BARTH.

Thank you

Forum-talkers? I've been to St Barths three times in the last year, including last month. LOL

Here's a suggestion MCTV: Don't put "Crime Wave????" as your subject for the thread if you are trying to reduce the nonsense of other people's blogs. You're creating the same problem. Put something like "The crime wave stuff is utter nonsense".

sweet shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:17am
My sweet cat Carib having some words with a lobster, brrrrr scary, I murdered the lobster. Self defense...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoots&Co. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:21am
....and finally eat it I guess!
Tibo-CDG-SBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tibo-CDG-SBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:33am
Hi everyone,

Well, I am the "SBH-villa-owner" who wrote on my blog about a crime wave in St Barts. It was a poor choice of words and changed my statement on my blog. I went as far as to explain how safe our island was, but that bad things could happen like anywhere else. (just like everybody said here on the forum).

I was deeply touched by what happened to these ladies in St Barts and I thought that it was a lot in less that a year.
I wonder why MCTV felt the need to open a thread about it on this forum, complete with CAPITAL LETTERS to create buzz about it. Now, I wonder who is making a fuss about it.

And just so you know : in today's edition of Le Journal de Saint Barth, the editorial piece is called "Délinquance : l'électrochoc" . It states just what I said on my blog : for a very safe island  like ours, 1 murder, 2 rapes, cases of burglary, etc. , this is quite a lot. And it is shocking to us, because it is unusual and will obviously not happen again.
Quote " Pour une population de moins de 10 000 habitants, ce n'est pas beaucoup, c'est énorme."

Once again, the island is probably one of the safest places on earth. Truly.
sweet shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:39am
Grilled with a Chablis bien frais...arg.
GregB View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 4:08am
Rest assured, Chez Yann will not be opening on St Barth in our lifetimes:

LorrieBGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LorrieBGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:31am
Just to let you know, the post that appeared on the TripAdvisor website for SXM and the "attack" on the two women is now being considered a possibly bogus post.  Of course SXM has their share, but that post has alot of holes in it and is being disputed as an authentic one, since the same post appeared on another island's forum.  Curiously, it was posted on April Fool's day.

We will be on SBH again in November and can't wait to return (we missed last year).  Would love to know who else might be there from Nov. 9 to 14th.
Lor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic