FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

Global Warming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StBarthSoonToBe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StBarthSoonToBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Warming
    Posted: 30 June 2007 at 11:49pm
I was talking to a friend the other day about my plans to find a quieter, more natural life on St Barths and he raised what I think might be an interesting discussion point: How would global warming affect St Barths?

To be a little more specific, it's not so much the warming itself that worries me, but rather the rise of the sea-level due to the polar caps melting.
Have any of you found any serious scientific info on just how much of St Barths might be swallowed by the sea within the next 50 years?
Countries like Holland, Japan and most specifically Bangladesh are going to lose a big proportion of their land area if the sea-level rises just a little bit, in the case of Bangladesh it's going to be pretty much the whole country, meaning 120 million refugees.

St Barth is a relatively steep island (nothing compared to Saba though Sleepy) so I figure there shouldn't be too much of a problem, at least in the foreseeable future.
It'd be ironic to see the villas furthest from the beaches & the good views rise in price because of their relative safety from any troubles. I'm sure this is something investors are going to start taking into account.

Any thoughts/reliable info?
"It's a long way from Madrid to St. Barth..."

(but step by step I'll make it!)
theblakefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theblakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 8:44am
Say bye-bye to Saline Beach 

CryAngry
St. Barthelemy - resting place of the soul
Miss Kitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 9:24am
Sounds like a good topic for a Jimmy Buffet song...

'I don't know, I don't know, I don't know where imma gonna go when the...

Cartier float to sea?

Le Select aint gonna be?

My mahi mahi where is she?

My vanilla rhum, oh golly gee!"
Eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 10:09pm

I cannot believe this is even a topic!!!  Just like California was supposed to fall off the shelf.  The earth is 8 billion years old that is 9 zero's!!!  They have only been keeping track of weather for a couple of hundred years, which is 2 zero's, so the information you have on the earth's weather is equal to a doctor having one of your hairs from your head and giving you a diagnosis on your health!!

ENOUGH WITH THE GLOBAL WARMING!!!  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eileen
TomC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 10:31pm
Eileen, in all of the  earth's 8 billion years, this is the first time that carbon-emitting technology has ever been a factor.  Carbon emissions have grown explosively since the  discovery of the internal combustion engine and techniques for generating  electricity that  use coal and oil.  Moreover, the earth's climate is not stable, and has experienced repeated cycles of warming and cooling throughout its history. For me, the mere age of the earth does not provide valid reason to reject models of climate change on whose validity a large majority of earth scientists have staked their professional reputations.  I wish it did.
-- TomC
Eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 10:43pm
Hi Tom!  Just a quick answer to your statement....

Prior to the industrial revolution, we were an agrarian society for approx. 10 thousand years.  We had at least 3 known ice ages in that time span, which means the earth naturally cooled and then warmed itself up.  In the agrarian era it was carbon dioxide, primarily the society was driven by animals and their waste.  In the industrial era and computer age we are cabon monoxide.  So, please tell me the lack of one oxide radical is supposedly doing all this damage to the atmosphere?  The information they have on weather is deemed insignificant because of lack of information on the entire weather of the earth's weather.

Thanks for reading my post!   Have a great day!!

Eileen
Miles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 4:52am
Very interesting point made on the global warming issue. You must not only think about rising sea levels, but also the increased possibilities of excess heat, or excess rain. These can lead to drought problems or the complete opposite.....Also an increase in Hurricanes that pass through the area, plus an increase in there strength. It could get nasty....
NYC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 8:15am
Eileen do you still feel the same way???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic