FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

Les Castelets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 11:36am
Well, it only took 5 years (and several intervening trips), but I finally made it to the location of Les Castelets on our trip this month. I found this old thread and thought I would provide a long overdue update.

We stayed at Petit Pont, which I knew was close to the ruins (from the post above). Armed with the satellite images and an iPhone, my son and I set out.

We found a gate that looked like the right one.

At the top of the zig-zag driveway, we found a broad area with lots of rubble. This view is looking back toward the hill (note the radio tower at the top left).

The view forward was as good as ever. In this image, the close boulders separate the area on which we were standing from a lower area with more rubble.

Here is a panorama, from left to right and down, of the view. In this image you can more clearly see the big drop off between the two cleared areas.

We scrambled up the very large and very precarious boulders at the right side of the panorama above. From there we had a great view of Petit Pont -- on the other side of a small gully.

I was able to text my wife, who was back at Petit Pont, and she took this picture of us from the upstairs room of the villa. You can just see us waving in the middle.

It was a fun adventure. I wish that I could have made it there before the buildings were demolished, but it was interesting nonetheless.

By the way, when searching recently for information on the location, I found this webpage from Sibarth about the land sale. There are a few nice aerial pictures of the compound before destruction.

http://www.sibarthrealestate.com/sibarthrealestate/en/st-barts/real-estate/land/land-cas

Brian
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 11:43am
P.S. The driveway to the left in the first picture leads to the Manoir de Lurin.

http://le-manoir-de-lurin-st-barth.com/

Le Manoir sits directly below Petit Pont, as can be seen in this image from their website.

GregB View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 2:41pm
WoW.  Thanks Brian.  Next trip in November I am going to check this out.
sonoii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2012 at 4:56pm
that's quite a read, thanks for sharing.
SABACA4711 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SABACA4711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 9:33am

What great memories. I we went there our first year we went to S.B. back in 1991.We also made back there when we return every year after until it was destroy . It was a fun no matter when you went you knew every one that was there. Saint Barth's was so different than now.
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 10:26am
I'm glad that you found it, Brian!  When I last was there,the remnants of the hotel had recently been demolished, and two or three building pads had been developed for the new homes planned there.  I haven't returned . . . but it seems that the economy may have put a halt to that plan.

Meanwhile, near the entrance where you and your son are pictured, one of the two villas that formerly belonged to Mikhail Baryshnikov has recently been torn down.  a new villa is under construction on the site.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SABACA4711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 9:20pm
Wow such great memories .. One thing i can remember was to drive up there at night. Oh my god was it so dark the cars were awe full then an one mistake your off to side down the hill. To go to dine you had to be dress smart casual.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SABACA4711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 9:24pm
Thank You for sharing the photo. A lot of memoirs there. It was a special place you went to either when you got there or your last night..
Do you re call when it was Italian for a couple of years? Pino Lungo from N.Y. ran it, i think up to 1995.
SanibellLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanibellLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:21pm
Sadly we have not been back to St. Barts since 1986, but it was still quaint, undiscovered and "remote" at that time.  Our  1st stay in 1984 was at PLM 
and then in 1985 and 1986 we stayed at Les Jardins de St. Jean.  Both on St. Jean, and both lovely by our modest standards.  Besides Eden Roc, and several other resorts on St. Jean and in Gustavia, there were not many other resorts on the island.  We dined at Les Castelets several times, and enjoyed the beautiful view.  We also dined at a wonderful little outside restaurant near St. Jean called "La Louisiane"---where we had delicious French food among gorgeous palm trees!  We recall driving around the island and seeing little but its natural wonders.  I recall walking by a little roadside "perfume hut" across the road from St. Jean Bay, where I bought some wondrous fragrance.  I fear going back and seeing how changed it has been, although I gather much has been wiped out by the recent hurricane.  Back in the states, some other magical places I've been that remind me of the relaxed pace of St. Barts in the late 1980s is Fire Island, NY (Saltaire) and Sanibel Island, FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic