FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

Margot Ferra (Doniger) - artist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
linda164 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Margot Ferra (Doniger) - artist
    Posted: 26 July 2007 at 11:55pm
Hello,

I am looking for anyone who might know anything about this collage artist who was living in St Barths in the '70s - we have a couple of her original collage art pieces, and would be interested in finding anyone who either knows of her works or is interested in them. 

I have copies of the pieces that I can email if you are interested in seeing them.

There were postcards made of her pieces that were sold in St Barths, also France and Venezuela.

Thank you,

Linda deBourbon

Additional info: She was married to Benjamin Doniger who was a cinematographer.  Both passed away in the late '80s.
GregB View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 12:22am
Hi Linda,

Would love to see your collages by Margot Ferra.  There is one poster by Margot Ferra listed with the Princeton University Library.  See Map Drawer D3.

linda164 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 3:34am
Thanks, I emailed them to you!
GregB View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 3:51am
Thanks Linda.  This is very interesting and I am wondering if anyone can tell us more about Margot Ferra, especially her life on St Barths.
linda164 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 1:22am
Thanks Greg, 

Just wanted to mention that these are collage works; the boat is made of wood, there is sand glued on etc.

Thank you again!
Linda
bajajudy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajajudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 10:12am
From what I remember of her works, those photos of the originals do not do them justice.  She did a lot of cases, where each board was a separate piece of wood.  The detail was phenomenal.  She and her husband were very charming people and I am sorry to hear that they are no longer with us.
I wish that I had bought one of her pieces.  They were quite unusual.

linda164 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 4:40am

Thank you for replying, I was wondering if I would find someone who is familiar with her work!

Do you have any advice for me as to how I would be able to find a market for her paintings?    The internet has not brought me any leads.  My father is looking to sell these paintings as he is retired now. 

bajajudy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajajudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 7:37am
I will ask around.
send me a private message with the particulars.
There is an old postcard of Le Select that is a copy of one of her pieces that I have been searching for to scan and post.  It is more indicative of her work.

Pussywillows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pussywillows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2007 at 12:45pm
I have some postcards of Margot Ferra artwork.

This one is Bouees de Lorient, a postcard purchased by my aunt's first cousin on Guadeloupe in 1971 and sent to my aunt.

This one is from a postcard used to announce a 1985 Exhibition of her collages in New York. This was sent to me by her husband Benji Doniger who was one of my mother's second cousins.

Margot was born 21 April 1910 in Riga (what is now Latvia, but was then part of the Russian Empire). She died 14 October 1986 at Sarasota, Florida.  In 1930 she appeared in a German film Das Leid vom Leben.

best,
Tony Lewis

GregB View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2007 at 1:26pm
Thanks Tony Lewis for your contributions to the site.  Do you know more about connections of Margot to St Barth?  Your posting of her art, when you consider her island life, makes us wonder what else is out there so we can see how Margot saw St Barth in earlier times.
raenette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raenette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:38am
do you know anyone interested in buying some of her paintings from 1973
raenette
raenette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raenette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:46am
have 2 original paintings    do you know any collectors
raenette
Pussywillows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pussywillows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 1:55pm
I've tracked down Douglas Lytle who is Margot and Benji's grandnephew and closest living relative. He has some of Margot's paintings and may be inetrested in buying more of them. I've passed on this URL to him. It's up to him whether and when he will reply.

Tony Lewis
Anthony R. Lewis
Natick, Massachusetts
GregB View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 9:14pm
Wondering if there are enough Ferra works that could be gathered for an exhibition at...Hotel Normandie?
linda164 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 12:54pm
Thank you!  I hope to hear from him..
val2bad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote val2bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 6:33am
Hello, I believe I have some one willing to buy these two paintings.
Could you tell me the price on my e.mail
Thank you
v
cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 11:57am
Hi
I also have a lovely painting collage from 1966. Do you think that your contact may be interested in purchasing another original piece. Can take a photo and send it to you.
Also any idea what these paintings are going for?
Thanks a bunch!
Cindy
lubilu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lubilu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 2:52am

Margot and Benji were good friends of my parents in the 70's and early 80's when they had a house in Marigot. They were both absolutely charming. Benji was a very talented photographer and violin player. Margot left Latvia to first settle in Germany, then in France, when nazis came to power. She flew to the US where she met Benji. They lived in Puerto Rico a few years and spent quite a while in StBarths.

I met them when I was a kid and still have a few collages of Margot at home. I'm might be interested if you didn't sell your collages already. Please use my email address.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic