FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

Tract Housing Coming to Grand Fond Soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newyork View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tract Housing Coming to Grand Fond Soon
    Posted: 11 October 2016 at 6:42pm
A Developer has cleared 6000 square meter of land in Grand Fond and has plans to build tract housing! 12 houses with at least 3 bedrooms. Hard to believe!!! When my friend spoke with the mayor Bruno Ledee concerning this issue, he said the laws changed and the new laws permit people to build their property up as much as they they see fit. Apparently his office are being flooded for a new group of construction license to maximize profit using these condensed housing models. The idea is, the more bodies you can fit per square feet, the more money, you can collect in rent. Goodbye Grand Fond....Goodbye St. barth....so sad. Cry

I have to ask myself....is this the end of paradise....time to sell....?

Premium James View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 3:37am
Are you sure about this?
newyork View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 4:38am
The name of the developers are Nemegyei et Bajolle.

The Parcel numbers are 2016-891 CE et 2016-892 CE.

Apparently someone named Helene Bernier has a local group of people called St. Barth essentiel who have also held a meeting with the mayor about limiting the construction but to no avail. I suppose more information can be attained through her but I have been told she only speaks French. According to what I have learned, they cleared the land quasi illegally by splitting it into 2 parcels so they could circumvent a law requiring them to attain a land clearing permit.

The sentiment around here seems to be if they permit this construction it will be a free for all and that everyone will be interested in packing in as many houses as possible on the land they own. Apparently there are other similar permits being put through at the moment. It is possible and even highly plausible that off-island developers may arrive to purchase land to these ends.

As far as I know there is no association to preserve the character of the island similar to what is found in more exclusive towns in the states. 

This makes the island vulnerable to the whims of the politicians and developers. 

I like St. Barth but there are a lot of beautiful island that are less developed. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2016 at 4:21am
Wow, I know Helene, I'll see what I can find out.

I know that there was a planning loophole that was closed, however not retrospectively.

There are islands that are less developed, however, for me at least, the charm of St Barts is in the safety on the one hand, and the wealth of restaurants and beautiful beaches on the other.

We have had some clients come back from the Turks and they said it was rough and they got bored!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2016 at 5:13am
Apparently the old owner of the Taiwana is behind this.
RONRETRO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONRETRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2016 at 5:36am
The Eagles had a fitting song years ago for this, called "The Last Resort"...
An excerpt ...
Some rich men came and raped the land,
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes,
and Jesus, people bought 'em
and they called it paradise
The place to be
They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea
Ronretro
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2016 at 6:23am
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot

We aren't there yet thankfully

newyork View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:33pm
If we're not there yet, we are not far from it.

Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic