FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

Weather in August? Storms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kenon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather in August? Storms?
    Posted: 23 April 2007 at 1:49pm
Hello All,

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to SBH after our wedding on August 4th.  We are planning on staying in St. Martin for two nights, then catching the ferry over for 5 nights in an SBH villa. 

I have been warned by some friends and a travel agent about hurricanes and storms.  I know it would be in hurricane season but is the threat of a tropical storm or hurricane in early August that probable?  We are hoping for sunny skies not stormy weather.

Thank you for your advice.

Kenon WillisSmile
soleil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 10:26pm
Kenon~

I haven't been to SBH in August, but I have been in September and October, also smack in the middle of hurricane season............

the way I see it is SBH weather falls into two categories........1) tropical weather, and 2) hurricanes.  You will know by checking the forecasts in the days before your trip if a hurricane is looming and can plan accordingly.  Otherwise, it will be plain old beautiful and tropical weather which is largely unpredictable, but always tropical and exotic.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the week around Labor Day is the worst week for hurricanes........but others around here will know better.  I travel in hurricane season despite the threat and have never been disappointed.  Statistics, and worries aside.......it is the only variable out of our control, and even then, being on SBH in the rain is a beautiful place to be..........

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding........
GayleR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GayleR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 11:36pm
I was on the island last year the first week of August and it was glorious. NO rain except for one night for about an hour. Very hot. Ocean like a bathtub. Lots of jellyfish on St Jean. But otherwise picture perfect. Enjoy!
Premium Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Premium Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:07am

Look at www.sxmcyclone.com they have satelite photos, storm tracking, predictions etc etc. There is a good few days warning is something on its way.

You get three categories of weather

tropical depression, wind and rain
tropical storm, very wet and windy
hurricane, say no more.

It is v. warm in August, the sea is like a bath....wonderful.

Second Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:09am
Am I the only one that scheduled their wedding around their honeymoon in SBH, rather than the other way around??

The hurricane season peaks in the latter part of August and first part of September.  I used to have access to some US Navy tables, one of which showed a week-by-week breakdown of tropical cyclones in the SXM area, but they are no longer publicly available. 

Without access to the tables, I have to go to old notes for the following numbers: In the last 120 or so years there have been 53 tropical cyclones, of which 23 were hurricanes, that passed within 180 nautical miles of SXM.  In the same period there have been 63 tropical cyclones in September, of which 30 were hurricanes, and 19 tropical cyclones in October, of which 4 were hurricanes.  No other month went into double-digits, and only February, April, May, and June were tropical-cyclone free in that period.

Is there a higher risk of a tropical cyclone hitting SBH in August than in some other months?  The historical numbers say yes.

Should you take your chances and schedule your honeymoon for August in SBH?  Only you can decide.

Some advice if you do go:  Trip cancellation insurance may be useful, but be sure that you understand the terms and conditions.  Understand your villa/hotel cancellation policy.  Keep an eye on weather to the east.  Watching Old Folks MTV (aka Weather Channel) may not be your idea of a honeymoon activity, but may ease your mind or give you an early warning.  If Weather Channel isn't available in your hotel or villa then drop by one of the internet cafes and check the weather online. 

katva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:24am
[QUOTE=Second Star]
Am I the only one that scheduled their wedding around their honeymoon in SBH, rather than the other way around??

SS---Tom and I also scheduled our wedding around our upcoming honeymoon in St. Barts----our family thinks we are crazy!  But I think they just don't understand......!!!  We may move the date up, actually, and in that case, we will do a "pre-honeymoon" honeymoon.....any excuse to get there, I say.
NYC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 7:50am
August is a great time to go. Many French visitors and the breezes keep things cool. Let us know if you enjoyed your trip!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic