FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chat about everything and anything to do with St Barts

West or East Side?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: West or East Side?
    Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:12am
Great idea, Greg.  And, as you know, I'm a big fan of the Wimco/Sibarth group -- highly professional people with, in my long experience, unquestioned integrity.

To start the ball rolling, I'd ask . . .

Attributes of the West side of the island (Anse des Cayes, Flamands, Colombier, Corossol) vs. East side (Lorient, Marigot, Cul de Sacs, Toiny, Saline, & Gouverneur)?

I know that both offer their "charms," and I have a distinct preference for "East."  Nonetheless, it's always interesting to read the posts of friends and others whose opinions I respect when they describe their preference for the "other" side of the island!

What makes the difference?  (and we know there's nothing bad!)
Bethany-Wimco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany-Wimco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 5:00am
Great question. Where do I start! I'm going to give this some in depth thought and come back to you with a detailed answer.
Thanks!
Second Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:12am
To me, that question breaks down in a different way - sunrise or sunset?  While there are exceptions, and some that have both, I think of villas on the East end of the island as sunrise villas, and those on the West end as sunset villas.  But perhaps my view is too simple.  I'm interested in seeing the Wimco response.
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:36am
Good analysis, Second Star.  I hadn't thought of a distinction in sunrise / sunset terms.  I simply find that I do more "things" on the East side of the island.  I do, however, find the other side to be quieter.
soleil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:07am
Hey, the last time I brought this up, I was accused of "splitting hairs"..........

Nonetheless, I think it is a great topic Dennis (LOL)
Last time I was reminded by Deuxieme about the sunrise/sunset approach............
and was consequently thrown full force into a search for a sunset villa....
which in turn led me to SIB LED, oddly enough.......
and we loved SIB LED (altough I wouldn't call it a sunset villa, LOL, but it was a beautiful west side story)
so the split-ends on the heads of some was worth it.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany-Wimco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:22am
I personally think focusing on an area limits client's and what house could be right for them, especially someone that has not been  there before.  After all, St Barths still is only 8 square miles of heaven. 

CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:01am
Well said, Bethany!  And just about anyone who goes to SBH will find a way to return . . . so experiencing ALL the island can be part of the adventure.
stbarthlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stbarthlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:34am
Totally agree about seeing all the island.  We have now stayed in villas in Vitet, Lurin, Colombier, Petit Saline and Gustavia.  Loved them all -- and all for different reasons.
skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:29am
there is such diversity for such a small island. I stayed in Toiny overlooking petite cul de sac my first time on the island (sib ble) and loved it - the open spaces, quiet, great views. Then I was way up in the hills above st jean beach - great central location, different views, perhaps my favorite villa (sib bba with two pools). Then it was on to columbier (sib teo)- very cool views of gustavia, arriving planes, minutes form town. I guess I like being "above" gustavia - I guess that is to the east. Feels like you can get around more easily from there, easier access to beaches and fun places to eat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stbarthlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 12:23pm
Skeeter -- I agree that the Columbier area is a great place to be.  In January '06 we stayed in a villa Wimco called SIB ING (also known as Mirador), which looks straight down into the harbor and has the planes landing right in front of you.  Very cool.  And it was also very affordable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany-Wimco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 10:21pm
I love Columbier too.  It's much more convenient than people think.  Villa ING is currently undergoing a major renovation.  I believe it'll be done in 2008 - I'm thinking spring perhaps?  It'll be great when it's done as the view there is so stunning!

Bethany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stbarthlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 1:08am
We wondered why it wouldn't come up on the Wimco website.  Guess it's because of the renovations.  Did it sell? 
Also, now that I think of it and have you here, Bethany, what happened to two villas we stayed in and can't find on the Wimco site any more?  DEV, a beautiful place up in Vitet and the first villa we stayed in, and JBA, another gorgeous place in Lurin, no longer appear on the site.  Do you know what happened to them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany-Wimco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 1:46am
DEV came off a while ago.  I think it may have been rented long term.  It was a great house but a hard sell due to the remote location.  JBA - loved it and was sad it came off.  The owner blocked it out for a year due to construction close by and it never came back on the list.  I think the owner lives in it now.  What a great spot, so close to town and great views without  the feeling of anyone around.

ING was not sold.  It is the same owner doing the renovations.

Are you all set for your next trip?  I'll be on the island from Aug 15 to 18.  I'm planning to see a lot in a short period of time.  Should have some good "scoop" upon my return.

Bethany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stbarthlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 9:47am
We are all set for January.  Staying at La Baleine.
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 10:10am
Bethany . . . I hope to see you the night of the 17th!  Perhaps we can make it an annual date!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bethany-Wimco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 11:47pm
Hey CEC -

I couldn't find your email address to  let you know I was coming.  Leaving New England in August wasn't my idea, but now that I'm committed, I'm really excited!  I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun!
soleil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:04am
Originally posted by skeeter skeeter wrote:

I stayed in Toiny overlooking petite cul de sac my first time on the island (sib ble) and loved it - the open spaces, quiet, great views.

skeeter.....
I have always wanted to stay in Toiny. 
I love Grand Fond for the same reasons.....
what about the drive at night to Toiny?  what did you think?

I'm thinking if I found a villa in Toiny, I may go home at night through Marigot and the cul de sacs.........
because the road from Petit Saline to Grand Fond is for me, the scariest on the island..yikes!
CEC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:09am
Valid point of view, soleil.  On the other hand, friends of mine who have a restaurant in Gustavia and live in Toiny always drive home at night over the Lurin hill, Petit Saline, and Grand Fond because they think there are too many "crazies" on the road through St. Jean, Lorient, Marigot!

I guess it's all in where one finds comfort!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic